FREE SERVICE TO THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO READ NEWSPRINT!
Unable to read the newspaper? We have the answer! It’s as easy as dialing a phone! And it’s FREE!
NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free audio news service for anyone who is blind, low-vision, or otherwise print-disabled that offers access to more than 500 publications, emergency weather alerts, job listings, and more.
NFB-NEWSLINE® subscribers have access to
- National newspapers, including the Wall Street Journal and USA Today
- Breaking news sources, including CNN, BBC, and ESPN Online
- International newspapers, including Financial Times and Vancouver Sun
- Magazines, including Family Circle, Time, Consumer Reports, Guideposts, and Smithsonian
- State newspapers
- Emergency weather alerts and seven-day forecasts localized to your zip code or GPS location
- The information that scrolls along the bottom of your television screen during emergency alerts
- More than 100,000 job listings from two national job sources
- TV listings localized to your zip code and provider
- Retail ads
- NFB's national channel, including the ebook Building the Lives We Want, the Braille Monitor, Future Reflections, and presidential releases
We thank the Board of Education & Services for the Blind and the Eugene & Margaret Blackford Memorial Fund for continuing to raise expectations to live the life we want!
How to Sign Up for NFB-NEWSLINE®
Anyone who cannot read printed publications due to vision loss, dyslexia, or a physical disability is eligible to receive NFB-NEWSLINE®. Please register by calling the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut Community Outreach office at 860-289-1971 to request an application. You may also complete our online application form. After your registration is processed, you will receive a message containing your activation codes and instructions.
Ways to Access NFB-NEWSLINE
After you sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE®, you will be able to access it in any of the following ways. If you are a current subscriber, you do not need to create a new account or obtain new codes to use additional methods. Your current codes will allow you to access NFB-NEWSLINE® using any method you choose. If you’ve forgotten your codes, please call us for assistance.
NFB-NEWSLINE Mobile 3.0 is fully accessible with VoiceOver so that users can hear content read aloud or read it in Braille with a connected refreshable Braille display or notetaker, making the app ideal for blind and deafblind users.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE® through your phone with the touch of a few buttons
- Create your own favorites list, skip articles or sections, and repeat items you wish to re-read
- Enable the continuous reading mode which allows you to start, stop, and skip articles
- Alter the reading voice by changing the volume, speed, and pitch
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE® hands-free on any Amazon Alexa product, including Echo and Echo Dot
- Alter the reading voice by changing the volume, speed, and the voice itself
- Use dozens of voice commands to navigate to sections and articles that interest you
iOS Mobile App
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE® on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad
- Global search function allows you to find articles on specific topics
- Immediate access to a breaking news stories
- Download the free "NFB-NEWSLINE® Mobile" app in the Apple App Store.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE® on a secure, text-only website that is screen-reader friendly
- Easily navigate and search every available publication
- Email a full publication, a section, or single article to your inbox
- Visit nfbnewslineonline.org to access NFB-NEWSLINE online.
- NFB-NEWSLINE® can email your news, customized job listings, and information directly to your inbox
- Provide us with an email address, choose your favorites, and select frequency (once daily or updates throughout the day)
- Visit nfbnewslineonline.org to set up your NFB-NEWSLINE email service.
- Access NFB-NEWSLINE® through many popular digital talking book players
- Portable, plug and play, wireless download for Victor Reader Stream 2nd Generation
- Easily navigate sections and articles with the use of DAISY-standard formatting
- Visit nfbnewslineonline.org to learn more.
Additional Features on NFB-NEWSLINE
In addition to reading newspapers and magazines, you can take advantage of these additional features available through NFB-NEWSLINE®.
EMERGENCY WEATHER ALERTS and SEVEN-DAY FORECASTS
NFB-NEWSLINE® offers both seven-day weather forecasts as well as emergency weather alerts. These weather alerts are localized to your zip code, or using your GPS for the NFB-NEWSLINE® iOS Mobile App. Now if you hear the emergency tones on your television and are unable to read the message scrolling on the screen, you can log into NFB-NEWSLINE® and the weather emergency will be provided to you immediately. You can then obtain further details if necessary, or proceed to your news and information.
NFB-NEWSLINE® provides job listings from two national job sources each offering over 100,000 listings. Job listings are customizable and can be shared with your rehabilitation professional or other party at your request by providing a second email address. Customize your listing(s) by:
- Zip code
- Distance from your home
- Category (such as “marketing”, “healthcare,” or “information technology”)
- Education level
- Full time, part time or contract
- Minimum salary
- Maximum salary
- Search phrase (such as “entry-level” or “experienced”)
- You can even save more than one job profile
NFB-NEWSLINE® offers TV listings customized to your home zip code and your television provider using the telephone access method. Hear only television listings for your provider. When available, the listings include which shows provide audio description.
NFB-NEWSLINE® provides retail ads for national retailers. These ads, when possible, are customized to your zip code so you read only local ads.
NFB-NEWSLINE NFB National Channel
Our National Channel provides information specific to your interests.
On this channel (Option 1 on the Telephone Access Method) you will find:
- The ebook, Building the Lives We Want: The Seventy-Fifth Anniversary History of the National Federation of the Blind
- The Braille Monitor
- Future Reflections
- NFB Presidential Releases: a monthly report on current NFB activities, delivered personally by the President of the NFB
- National Federation of the Blind Kernel Books
Participating Connecticut Publications
- Bureau of Education & Services for the Blind
- The Federationist In Connecticut
- Connecticut Information Channel
- Hartford Business Journal
- Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped
- Connecticut Elections
- City of Stamford
- Associated Press Connecticut
- Bridgeport Connecticut Post
- Darien News Review
- Fairfield Citizen News
- Greenwich Time
- Hartford Courant
- Mashoba Valley Voice
- New Camaan Advertiser
- New Haven Register
- New London Day
- Stamford Advocate
- West Port News
To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit www.nfb.org/nfbnewsline. If you have any questions, please contact the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut community outreach office at 860-289-1971 or email@example.com. You can also call NFB-NEWSLINE® at 1-866-504-7300 (toll free).