State Scholarship Program
Each year the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut (NFBCT) awards scholarships to qualified blind students. The scholarships are awarded at the annual convention of the NFBCT. The following scholarships are planned:
|Betty and Bruce Woodward Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $5,000, is given in loving memory of Bruce’s & Betty’s decades of dedicated leadership in the Federation and the affiliate, including Bruce's chairing of the scholarship committee for many years.|
|Howard E. May Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $5,000, is given in memory of Howard E. May, the founding president of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut.|
|C. Rodney Demarest Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $3,000, this scholarship is given in loving memory by his family and friends. Blind since the age of 18 he ran his own business for many years, read NFB-NEWSLINE® faithfully, was always well-informed and was admired by his many friends.|
|Doris Higley Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $3,000, this scholarship is given in loving memory of a friend of Mrs. Higley's.|
Note: Additional scholarships will be offered if more funding becomes available.
To be eligible for these scholarships, all applicants must:
- Be certified as legally blind
- Be a resident of the state of Connecticut or a student at a Connecticut college or university
- Be pursuing a full-time postsecondary course of study during the Fall 2021 academic term. We will also consider part-time students with additional responsibilities such as employment or parenting. Part-time students must be enrolled in at least half of a normal course load.
- Participate in the entire NFB of Connecticut 2021 state convention and all scheduled scholarship activities
- Attend the student programming of the Connecticut Association of Blind Students during the 2021 NFB of Connecticut state convention ; and
- Submit all application materials by September 1, 2021.
Deadline & Notification:
Completed applications must be submitted by September 1st. The scholarship committee will review all applications and notify winners during the second week of September. The scholarships will be presented at the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut State Convention. ALL WINNERS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND OUR CONVENTION in the fall, INCLUDING OUR Connecticut ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS MEETING.