State Scholarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut (NFB of CT) is an organization dedicated to creating opportunities for all blind persons. In the furtherance of this goal, we have established our scholarship program. Recipients of NFB of CT scholarships need not be members of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut. NFB of CT scholarships are judged on the basis of academic quality, service to the community and financial need.
Each year the NFB of CT awards scholarships to qualified blind students. The scholarships are awarded at the annual convention of the NFB of CT. The following scholarships are planned:
|Woodward Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $5,000, is given in loving memory of Bruce and Betty Woodward for the many ways that they helped improve the lives of blind people in Connecticut.|
|Howard E. May Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $5,000, is given in memory of Howard E. May, the founding president of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut.|
|C. Rodney Demarest Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $3,000, is given in loving memory by his family and friends. Blind since 18, he ran his own business for many years, read NFB-Newsline® faithfully, was always well-informed and was admired by his many friends.|
|Doris Higley Memorial Scholarship:||In the amount of $3,000, is given in loving memory of a friend of Mrs. Higley.|
|Zukowski Family Foundation Scholarship:||In the amount of $2500. The Zukowski Family Foundation is honored to provide a scholarship for a Connecticut blind student.|
Note: Additional scholarships will be offered if more funding becomes available.
To be eligible for these scholarships, all applicants must:
- Be certified as legally blind
- Be a resident of the state of Connecticut or a student at a Connecticut college or university
- Be pursuing a full-time postsecondary course of study during the Fall 2021 academic term. We will also consider part-time students with additional responsibilities such as employment or parenting. Part-time students must be enrolled in at least half of a normal course load.
- Participate in the entire NFB of Connecticut 2021 state convention and all scheduled scholarship activities
- Attend the student programming of the Connecticut Association of Blind Students during the 2021 NFB of Connecticut state convention ; and
- Submit all application materials by September 1, 2021.
Deadline & Notification:
Completed applications must be submitted by September 1, 2021. The scholarship committee will review all applications and notify winners during the second week of September. The scholarships will be presented at the banquet of the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut State Convention. ANY WINNERS ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND OUR STATE CONVENTION ON THE WEEKEND OF OCTOBER 29 - 31, 2021, INCLUDING ANY CT ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS ACTIVITIES.